Facts about bullying?
What is bullying?
Sometimes you might have a fight or argument with someone. If it only happens once, that's not really bullying even though it can be upsetting.
Bullying is when someone:
- keeps picking on you again and again and tries to make you feel bad
- says or does lots of mean things that upset you
- makes fun of you a lot
- tries to stop you from joining in or make others not like you
- keeps hurting you such as hitting or punching you.
Bullying can also happen through a mobile phone or on the internet. This is called cyberbullying.
Bullying is not fair. It feels awful.
You have a right to feel safe.
If you don't feel safe, get help right now from your mum, dad, teacher, or an adult who will listen to you!
Why does it happen?
It's never OK to be mean. It's never OK to hurt others.
When people bully, it might be because:
- they think it's cool
- they get angry about something and they take it out on someone else
- they don't know how to get along with others
- they think it's funny to hurt people
- they think other people will laugh too.
Regardless of the reason, there's no excuse for bullying.